You don’t need to spend a lot of money to access good trading information. None of the stock trading courses on this page are very expensive yet they are far better than 99% of courses out there.
Courses that cost thousands of dollars do not contain any type of holy grail system that is going to transform you into a winning trader overnight! The only answer is to work hard, work on yourself and find your edge.
With that said, here is my list of the 15 best stock trading courses online. I’ve been through most of these myself. They’re all good and I think there’s enough here for both beginners and more experienced investors alike.
1. Mental Models For Wall Street – Tools For Top Performance
This course is awesome for anyone interested in learning about the biases that get in the way of making trading and investment decisions.
Human biases such as aversion to losses, hindsight bias and availability bias typically lead to costly investment mistakes which can be avoided if you know what to look out for. This course will teach you how to master your own worst enemy when it comes to trading – yourself!
You will learn:
- How to make better trading and investment decisions
- How to master your emotions to make winning trades
- Crucial models like law of small numbers, feedback loops and the black swan
- Crucial models like margin of safety, availability bias and circle of competence
- How to stop making the same mistakes again and again and start improving
2. Candlestick Analysis For Professional Traders
Nearly all professional traders rely on candlestick charts but few know the statistical properties of the most popular candlestick patterns. Unfortunately, some traders do not realise that many patterns have no edge and this is especially true on short time horizons.
The course teaches how to use candlestick charts and reveals the historical performance of all the classic candlestick patterns. With detailed backtesting results, this course is an eye opener for anyone interested in price action trading.
You will learn:
- The historical performance of 26 candlestick patterns across all markets
- How to find and then use the candlestick patterns
- How to scan for candlestick patterns with pre-built formulas
- The results of a complete system that utilises candlesticks and indicators
3. The Big Volatility Short – The Best Trade On Wall Street
The core of this strategy involves making a protected bet against volatility when it’s high. This is the only kind of bet that has worked every single time in the history of the stock market. Why? Because high volatility always goes down, given enough time.
That’s what makes this such a powerful strategy. The ETFs that track volatility also have extremely steep decay profiles. Since we’re betting against volatility, this gives us an additional edge. That gives us a strategy with 2 extremely powerful factors working in our favor.
You will learn:
- The most important aspects of how the VIX works
- The best times to enter and exit volatility trades
- How to make money on every single trade with clever management
- How to use ETF decay (beta slippage) to your advantage
- How to manage the volatility trade to maximise return and minimise risk
4. How To Beat Wall Street: Book & Course
This course started life as a book but has grown in size because I wanted to include more video tutorials and lessons. I wrote this book after working for a prop trading firm in London, UK and it covers all the lessons that I learnt there.
Although it was written a few years ago, this book and course is a great primer for financial trading and also reveals some interesting trading systems complete with basic Amibroker formulas.
You will learn:
- Fundamentals: central banks, macroeconomics, inflation
- News: trading most important news releases, buy the rumour sell the fact
- Risk: Money management rules, Kelly and trader psychology
- Trading tips: placing stops, diversification, backtesting tips, professional secrets
- Technical analysis: triangles, wedges, pivot points, Bollinger Bands, ATR
- Trading systems: 20 ideas for trend and mean reversion trading systems
5. Value Investing Rules – The Marwood Value Model
This course introduces 10 specific rules that can be used to pick cheap stocks. Simple and organised, the rules are based on similar value investing principles to legendary investors Warren Buffett, Ben Graham and Joel Greenblatt. However, the rules are completely unique to the course and unlikely to have been replicated elsewhere.
The result is a very interesting model that has returned 20% annually over the last 15 or so years. This is a passive, low stress investing strategy that can be combined very easily in a portfolio.
You will learn:
- A complete investing strategy that has averaged over 20% annual returns since 2000
- Financial ratios and the importance of investing rules
- How to screen for cheap, value stocks and line up the best opportunities
- The key principles for quantitative value investing
- Precise rules on when to buy, when to sell and when to hold
- Exactly how the system was set up using Portfolio123 software
6. How To Build An Automated Trading Robot In Excel
This is a special course from professional trader Peter Titus that will make take you to the advanced level of being able to program and automate your own stock trading system with Excel.
Over the course of five hours, Peter teaches how to set up Excel for automated trading and how to hook it all up with Interactive Brokers. Peter reveals many clever tricks and secrets and even includes his own trading system Ranger 1.0 for you to download.
You will learn:
- How to automate your trading with Excel and Interactive Brokers
- How to import data and do backtesting in Excel
- How to use Ranger 1.0 to make profitable trades any time
- How to trade and generate extra income even while you’re away from the computer
- Includes Excel templates and pre-written formulas
7. Trend Following For Stocks: A Complete Breakout System
Historically, trend following has been one of the most reliable methods to make consistent profits in the markets. But this course is not just a set of video tutorials, it’s a complete trading system that has been back-test over years of historical data.
The strategy itself is based on simple trend following rules but the devil is in the details. The system shows impressive, robust performance and has performed very well out of sample too.
You will learn:
- How to follow the big trends and not get whipsawed in a trade
- How to trail your stop losses so you don’t give up on gains
- How to correctly backtest and optimise a trading system
- A complete trend following trading system with excellent recent performance
8. Value Investing Boot Camp
Nick Kraakman starts off this course by advising students to follow a fundamental, value-oriented approach to investing. You can’t argue with Nick’s logic and he has done an excellent job here of picking apart the value investing approach which is based on the tried-and-tested method of Warren Buffett, Ben Graham and Seth Klarman.
He teaches how to find the intrinsic value of a stock, how to manage a portfolio and how to achieve above-average returns.
9. Investing In Stocks The Complete Course
This 10 hour course from Steve Ballinger covers a lot of ground and is perfect for those just getting started with investing. The course is well organised, logical and packed with quality information about stocks and the mechanics of the stock market.
Amongst other things you’ll learn:
- Classic investing strategies such as dividend, growth and value
- How to place orders and choose the right broker
- Best practices for selecting stocks and how to calculate risk
- Stock screening, financial ratios and IPOs
10. Options Trading: How To Win With Weekly Options
This popular course details a classic put writing strategy for trading common stocks. Importantly, the instructor not only reveals the mechanics of his strategy but he also goes into issue selection which is an overlooked but often critical component.
11. Machine Learning – Python Bible
This course is not directly relatable to stock trading but it is a very good course if you want to learn python and take a step towards machine learning. Python is a very flexible programming language which is fast becoming the language of choice among quant traders. This course can be taken as a stepping stone into the quant world.
12. How To Start A Hedge Fund – Incubator Course
Have you ever wanted to start your own hedge fund? Using other peoples money to invest in the market then skimming 20 percent of all the profits and 2 percent of fees? Sounds enticing I know.
If you are in fact serious about creating a hedge fund, the answer is start off with an incubator fund. These funds can be started with just a few thousand dollars and give traders the opportunity to progress to a fully fledged fund in just a few months. This course shows you the details.
13. Hedge And Mutual Fund Careers – Complete Guide
There are 100 lessons in this course to help you understand how to pick stocks like professional investors at mutual funds and hedge funds (even if you have no stock picking, accounting or finance experience).
If you want to work or be successful at a hedge fund or at a mutual fund, this course will tell you how to get a job, get promoted and how to excel at mutual funds and hedge funds.
The instructor Chris Haroun has been profiled in Forbes Magazine and Business Insider and has raised and managed over $1bn in his finance career. He loves teaching students about real world practical concepts.
14. Nicolas Darvas Home Study Course
Nicolas Darvas managed to amass over $2,000,000 in trading profits over a period of around 18 months. It’s a pretty incredible story that Darvas wrote about in his famous book from 1960.
Darvas relied on his own unique trend following strategy where he drew boxes over stock price charts. Whenever a stock broke out of the box he would buy it and whenever the stock fell back into the box he’d get rid of it. It was a simple trend trading technique that worked wonders then and probably still works today.
Jim Cox has done a good job of detailing the Darvas box strategy and this DVD course comes with templates, bonus articles and formulas in several formats. Including MetaStock, TradeStation, Wealthlab and Amibroker.
15. Ultimate Swing Trader Guide
This course on swing trading is designed for those who don’t want to sit in front of a screen all day and it’s for those who want to hold stocks for a couple of days or more.
Although this is a called a course, it’s more like a manual with some video tutorials thrown in. Extra value is provided with a suite of tools including the Swing Trading Calculator and the Trade Tracker Spreadsheet.
- How to identify the best stocks to watch for swing trading.
- How many stocks to trade at any given time to maximize your portfolio and reduce risk.
- Why the stock indexes are your friend and enemy at the same time.
That’s my selection of the best stock trading courses for beginners and more advanced traders online. I hope you find these courses useful!
Thank You For Reading. Do you have any other stock courses you can recommend? Please share in the comments.